Provider: Pitney Bowes Business Insight
MapInfo MapXtend is a Java development tool for creating client-server location based applications running on wireless handheld devices. MapXtend is client-server architecture with a distributed server and thin client communication over the wireless Internet. Most mobile devices have extremely small memory and disk storage capabilities. For this reason, only user interface and some local storage modules should be developed for the mobile device. MapXtend can deliver solutions onto wireless hand-held devices including PDA’s (Personal Digital Assistants) – i.e. Palm, Compaq iPAQ, HP Jornada as well as Java enabled and WAP phones. Most organizations know the value of one centralized source of information and the ability to access that information through the enterprise. MapXtend puts corporate information into the hands of the people who need it in the field.
MapInfo MapXtend is an ideal tool for any organization with a large number of field workers. Industries that can leverage MapXtend include utilities, commercial real estate, retail, telecommunications network and service providers, and the parcel/letter delivery industry.
Field data collection
Workers in the field collecting data such as footpath surveying etc, using a PDA device can update the centralized database in the field rather than making written notes and then physically re-entering this information when back in the office.
Another example of this type of application is surveying of infestations:
- Presence of West Nile virus
- Presence of Asian Longhorn beetle
- Forest fire outbreaks
Field Asset Management/ Trouble Ticket Management
This is a very powerful demo when demonstrated in tandem with a browser-based call center application using the same database (i.e. any changes made in the field would be reflected immediately in the call center application).
Ability to see the potential “upstream” source of a problem in the field.
Commercial Real Estate Field Force Tool
A commercial real estate sales person can pull up demographic reports and POIs (including summary of POIs in the area) for use in the field when selling commercial real estate.
Typical points of interest such as mall locations, public transport centers, schools, churches, and others can easily be displayed.
Selling Advertising/Yellow Pages/Coupons
The ability for a sales person to identify all of their existing customers and prospects in a given area (i.e. pizza shops, dry cleaners etc.)
- To display trade areas and display demographics of that area
- Show reports and thematically shaded areas.
Network alarm response
Access severity and status of network alarms to prioritize repairs. By being able to see all network alarms in the local area, the field technician will have a clearer understanding of the extent of a problem and therefore its possible cause.
Identify and visualize the location of repairs, property, or equipment in the field, and find out how to get there.
Update corporate databases on customer information, trouble tickets, repairs performed, and/or service calls completed in the field.
Access, visualize, and update data on underground infrastructure to avoid costly cuts in lines.
One-step provisioning from the field
Access centralized provisioning systems to save time and money.
MapXtend provides the infrastructure to dynamically build applications for J2ME, HTML browsers, or WAP/WML devices. It provides a user interface for building or changing applications using XML scripts for performing operations like routing, geocoding, geodecoding, mapping or combinations of them. It provides the facilities to add text, form (list), and show (canvas) actions into your application.
- Developer Tool: MapXtend provides a convenient/secure framework for creating applications for various devices. The new MapXtend browser is an easy application builder that uses XML and enables easy development of applications for J2ME, HTML, WAP and Pocket PC.
- Real-Time Access to Data: Allows “live” access to centralized data anywhere from your handheld device.
- Device Independent: MapXtend clients support any J2ME, WindowCE or Symbian based devices, as well as WAP-based phones and standard Internet browsers.
- Powerful Client Functionality: MapXtend allows developers to create smart applications with a feature-rich user interface.
- Local Persistent Data Storage: This also allows the user to work disconnected or off-line.
- Java End-To-End: J2SE/EE (Java 2 Standard/Enterprise Edition) on the server and J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) or WCE on the client.
- Integration: MapXtend seamlessly integrates with miAware and includes adaptors for Mapping, Geocoding, Routing and Reverse Geocoding. It also includes adaptors for cascaded services e.g. route between two addresses with/out map.
- Wireless Technology Independent: Will work anywhere in the world irrespective of type of network (i.e. CDMA, GSM, PCS, ….).
- Live access to accurate up-to-date information in the field leads to:
- Proactive customer care
- Improved efficiency
- Better, informed decisions
- Improved data quality by verifying and correcting data on site
- Live information where you need it and when you need it
- Flexible, Scalable – Applications built using MapXtend can run in multi-technology, distributed environments and scale to meet the needs of thousands of users.
- Monitoring – using Enterprise Manager MapXtend server and services can be dynamically deployed, configured and monitored. The SNMP monitoring is also supported.
- Discovery – MapXtend provides automatic discovery of other servers and web distributed services.
- Data Access & Display: Dynamically download raster, vector and text-based data from the server. Data can be graphically selected from the local database.
- Data Editing: Query, select, and update data on the local device.
- Data Capture: Capture new data in the field and upload it to the server.
- Layer Control: Users can control what data is viewed, such as streets, cell sites, customer locations, and more.
- Data Compression: MapXtend offers a highly compressed data stream for efficient and secure map and data downloads.
- Caching: XML-based JAR repositories (Java Archive) can cache raster or spatial data, leading to improved performance and portability. In addition, specific pre-defined views of data that need to be accessed often can be cached on the server.
- Security: MapXtend will perform client authentication. Communication components use the HTTP protocol. Applications using MapXtend may also implement other specific protection scheme for privileged access as a customized service.
- Support of both vectors and rasters on the handheld device: This enables the user to select and query locally stored vector data as well as capture, edit and update vector data on the client. This includes the ability to toggle visibility of vector objects without having to re-query the server for a new raster map.
- Enhanced capabilities for drawing, picking, capturing and editing the geometry of objects in the field: (i.e. move nodes within a polygon, create a new polygon, as well as pick polygon or line objects).
- Ability to store device profiles on the server: This allows the application to handle different image size and type support for different devices.
- Scalability: MapXtend server architecture allows application developers to implement and deploy customized services according with specific business rules. The customized service implementations can extend or embed MapXtend server basic services. MapXtend server can handle multiple services simultaneously, and its resource manager, dynamically controlled by the application developer, can dispatch requests to different designated servers. MapXtend client is an implementation of a generic object model, which precisely defines the functionality needed by any mapping application development, isolating all device specific implementations as plug-in components. Future implementations will require no object model alterations.
- Internationalization: MapXtend server can be localized to different languages by simply changing an XML resource file.
Please contact us for pricing information.
Learn More About MapXtend
Since 1993, Spatial Insights has been leveraging unique partnerships with the industry’s leading providers of mapping software and data to provide solutions tailored specifically to meet our clients’ diverse needs.
For more information about our services, or how we could help your business, please contact us at 800.347.5291 or fill out the form below.