Provider: Pitney Bowes Business Insight
MapX is a tool for application developers that offers the easiest, most cost-effective way to embed mapping functionality into new and existing applications.
MapX is an Active X component that can be quickly integrated into client side applications using Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, Delphi, Visual C++ or other object-oriented languages and in Lotus Notes (v4.5) using Lotus Script. Developers can work in the environments they’re familiar with, and end users can access mapping through their familiar business applications.
With MapX, the cost of acquiring mapping technology for your company has been reduced in two ways:
- There is no need to learn new programming languages so you can quickly design and implement custom solutions.
- Integration costs decrease with the ability to embed mapping into pre-existing business applications.
- Full read/write support for Oracle8i Spatial (object/relational format). Application developers will be able to develop client/server applications with direct connectivity to enterprise-scale databases in which all the data (both spatial & non-spatial) is stored in Oracle8i.
- Allows for tight integration between MapX and Oracle Express Objects, which is a developer’s tool for data warehouse exploration.
- Read-only support for the ESRI Shape file format.
- Support for MrSID raster format
- Integration with the SpatialWare DB2 Extender
- Support for SQL queries within datasets
- Object editing
- ADO/RDO Support
- Grid and Hill Shading display
- Software Copy Protection (SCP): International versions of MapX 4.0, for protected countries, now provides new keycode unlocking built into the software, rather than hardware dongle protection.
- Documentation provides more C++ samples for the developer
- Spatial Server Access is a powerful new feature which allows developers to connect to live data stored in spatial servers like MapInfo’s SpatialWare running on Oracle and Informix databases. MapX has a write capability directly to SpatialWare layers Spatial servers like SpatialWare allow companies to host and query their map data like any other data type in their enterprise database for greater processing power, storage and security.
- Object Processing developers can create applications that combine, buffer, intersect, or erase objects like points, lines, and polygons and return resulting data.
- Drill Down This unique feature links multiple map layers into a single layer so end-users can “drill down” on increasingly detailed areas for better decision making.
- Object Editing – Now developers can give application end-users the ability to interact with the map and create, modify, or delete objects – points, lines, and boundaries on a map. For example, Object Editing in a agriculture management application allows the business to modify the location of existing farms or create new ones.
- Animation Layer – Create high-performance, real-time applications like Fleet Vehicle Management with GPS tracking. Animation Layer stores data and quickly redraws moving objects without redrawing the underlying maps.
- Draw Layer – Previously, a map consisted of a set of vector maps and raster images. However, these two formats do not represent everything well. Now developers can draw their own objects on a map like a distance scale or vectors that represent magnitude and direction of an antenna’s transmission.
- Find – Users can quickly display a specific spot on the map like a state, zip code, city, street, or customer.
- Map Rotation – Offers greater flexibility and a more effective presentation of information on the map. Developers can specify the ability to rotate a map through 360 degrees. For example, in a GPS tracking scenario, the map could rotate around the vehicle whose orientation would stay constant. (Note: currently MapX is unable to rotate Raster Images)
- New Stock Dialogs – Create applications faster with new stock dialogues for common user dialogues like map legends and controlling layer display.
- Export Formats – MapX exports the following formats: JPG, GIF, WMF, BMP, TIF, PNG, PSD.
- Map Display will work with any MapInfo format map (.tab). This includes all the maps that work with Microsoft Excels’ Map feature, raster maps (.tiff images), street maps and seamless map sheets.
- Layer control allows users to manage multiple layers of geographic information, such as data layer colors, zoom layering, visibility, and label styles.
- Thematic mapping allows users to assign values to different areas on the map and display value ranges using several methods, including shading, graduated symbol, individual value, dot density, pie charts, and bar charts.
- Spatial selections allow users to select and work with spatial data at a specified location, within a rectangle, within a given radius, and within a polygon (such as a State).
- Geocoding lets users place locations–such as customers–on a map to the level of ZIP Code centroids. MapInfo’s street-level geocoding tool, MapMarker, is available as a stand alone product or an OCX for tight integration with MapX.
- Auto-labeling makes it simple to label an entire map.
- Extensive database binding supports popular data interfaces used in business applications. It accesses data from the container application via ODBC, DAO, Clip Board and OLE Data interfaces.
- Extensive maps and data including a world map, major cities, popular boundaries and more is included with MapX at no additional cost
- Fully Compatible with Lotus Notes – Extend the power of mapping to the industry standard platform for groupware applications. Access Notes databases from within Notes using Lotus script or externally from a Visual Basic application.
- Intellimouse – Supports the Intellimouse which provides a wheel as a third (middle) button on the Microsoft mouse
- Delphi v4 – Provide native support for Delphi v4 Datasets
- NADCON – Supports the NADCON algorithm to convert coordinates between NAD 27 and NAD 83
Please contact us for pricing information.
Learn More About MapX
Since 1993, Spatial Insights has been leveraging unique partnerships with the industry’s leading providers of mapping software and data to provide solutions tailored specifically to meet our clients’ diverse needs.
For more information about our services, or how we could help your business, please contact us at 800.347.5291 or fill out the form below.