Digital Elevation Models
Provider: DMTI Spatial Inc.
Developed for land management applications, the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) consists of an optimal array of ground elevations at regularly spaced intervals. DEM data plays the same role as that of conventional paper contours and relief shading but with one key additional benefit: it provides a powerful analytical perspective.
Tremendous growth in the telecommunication and engineering industries has created a greater demand for terrain data. This data will allow engineers to plan and manage all infrastructure growth with the accuracy required by new spatial applications. Other primary applications include RF Engineering, Terrain Visualization, Slope Analysis, and Environmental modeling.
DEM data combined with DMTI Spatial’s Clutter Data is ideal for certain RF propagation applications such as wireless pager, microwave, PCS and other wireless network planning. Also available on a custom basis, are hydrologically networked DEMs, which are ideal for flood plain analysis, shoreline\embankment erosion analysis, or environmental modeling such as the mapping of effluents.
DMTI Spatial’s Digital Elevation Model (DEM) provides a digital representation of a portion of the earth’s terrain over a two dimensional surface.
- Created from the interpolation of the National Topographic Database (NTDB) 1:50,000 scale digital mapping (Standards and Specifications V3.0 and later): contours, elevation points (spot heights), and water body polygons.
- The Hutchinson algorithm is used to eliminate the traditional “stepping” effect and flat-topped hills typically associated with DEM’s generated from contours.
- Lake flattening to ensure all water bodies are filled with spot heights at a 30m grid to represent a flat lake surface elevation. A grid calculation technique is applied to accurately estimate the elevations of all small and mid-sized lakes.
- Oceans and the Great Lakes are assigned the appropriate elevation values to act as contours and\or points.
- Standard mean sea level is used across the entire dataset
- 30 metre resolutions captured from 1:50,000 NTDB. 90 metre resolutions resampled from the 30 metre. Custom resolutions created upon request.
DEM coverage is available by sheet (1:50,000 or 1:250,000) and custom defined areas such as along the Canadian/US Border or by Province.
This data model is derived from Canada’s 1:50,000 topographic series and offers the best nationwide data set. Other benefits include:
- Conduct nationwide terrain modelling with seamless coverage
- Undertake cost-effective planning of networks and disaster management
- Optimize transmission tower locations when used with Clutter Data*
- High quality data based on the NTDB*
* Clutter Data & NTDB sheets are also available.
- ArcInfo Grid
- Vertical Mapper (MapInfo “.grd” files)
- Text (Ascii grid)
- Planet (UTM projection only)
- Custom formats available upon request.
- UTM (Universal Transverse Mercater), NAD83
- Unprojected latitude/longitude
Please contact us for pricing information.
Learn More About Digital Elevation Models for Canada
Since 1993, Spatial Insights has been leveraging unique partnerships with the industry’s leading providers of mapping software and data to provide solutions tailored specifically to meet our clients’ diverse needs.
For more information about our services, or how we could help your business, please contact us at 800.347.5291 or fill out the form below.